Fried Carrot Cake 萝卜糕


Fried Carrot Cake 萝卜糕

I got a recipe from a chef and I was so eager to try it out! 

Every morning on my way to work, I always passed by a stall selling fried dim sum. I am not one who frequent fried food but somehow, those golden brown hue, and the warmth radiated from the fried dim sum in the cold morning was very appealing to me. So I often succumbed to my temptation, and I always ended up buying the same thing - fried carrot cake. 

I love my carrot cake soft. After fried, a crusty skin form around the soft savory cake and it is sooo good. But it is only true while it is still hot, or warm at the very least, cold soggy skin lost its attractiveness easily.

Coming back to this recipe, it is quite different from all other recipes that I have read. The batter is very runny, I almost doubted that it will ever harden at all. Most of other recipes call for cooking the batter till thick before steaming but not this one. Glad that I pressed on and didn't try to gek khiang (act smart in a Chinese dialect) and change the recipe. It turned out soft and savory just like what I have expected!

The hardest part is the waiting time. After steamed, you need to wait overnight before cutting and frying it. It won't be easy to cut as it is pretty soft. Deep frying will surely will help to retain its shape better but as a matter of preference, I simply pan-fried mine. 

Enough of the story, let's get cooking!



Carrot Cake
Make 9 inch round carrot cake

Ingredients

A
  • 200g rice flour
  • 100g corn flour
  • 100g wheat starch
  • 12g salt
  • 40g sugar
  • 2 tbsp sesame oil
  • 500g water
B
  • 300g radish, chopped 
C
  • 1 tbsp oil
  • 50g shitake mushroom, soaked and chopped
  • 50g ebi, washed and chopped
  • 3 shallots, sliced and fried
  • 1 lup cheong, chopped
D
  • 700g boiling water
Cooking Directions
  1. Mix ingredients A until smooth. Set aside
  2. Boil radish in water, drain, and add into A.
  3. In a pan, heat up 1 tbsp oil and stir fry the rest of ingredients C till fragrant. Add into A.
  4. Add 700g boiling water into A and mix till smooth.
  5. Steam 1 hour and 15 minutes.
  6. Refrigerate overnight, slice and pan fried.
萝卜糕
9寸圆形萝卜糕
主料

A
  • 200克米粉
  • 100克玉米粉
  • 100克小麦淀粉
  • 12克盐
  • 40克糖
  • 2汤匙香油
  • 500克水
B
  • 300克白萝卜切碎
C
  • 1大匙油
  • 50克香菇,泡软,切碎
  • 50克虾米,洗净,切碎
  • 3个葱头,切片和炸过
  • 1 腊肠,切碎
D
  • 700克沸水
做法
  1. 混合配料A,直到均匀。搁置一旁。
  2. 萝卜用水煮过,滤干,倒入A里.
  3. 取一个锅,热1汤匙油,煸炒C至香,倒入A.
  4. 700克沸水倒入A,混合均匀。
  5. 蒸1小时15分钟。
  6. 隔夜冷藏,切片,就可以拿来煎了。

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...